DSE offers many opportunities for its members to receive awards.
- Participation. Each participant, including self-timers, receives a race ribbon.
- Top 5 Men and Women. The Top 5 Overall Male and Female finishers in each race win a race place ribbon.
- Age Division Points. DSE Members can earn Age Division Points at weekly races. The Top 5 Age Division winners for the year are eligible to win annual trophies (see below)
- Course Record. Anyone that breaks a course record receives a special ribbon.
Annual Age Division Awards
In order to receive an age division award at the annual Gala Dinner, you must meet the following criteria:
- Earn at least three (3) volunteer points for the year.
- Rank in the top 5 age division point earners in one of the following age groups (male and female): 18 & under, 19-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69,70-74, 75-79, 80+
Annual “Mongo” Trophies
We’re not quite sure where this particular term originated from but it seems to have stuck. These trophies – large and small – can be earned by DSE members by meeting all 3 of the criteria outlined below for each award. Points reporting forms become available online in December and are due in by the first week of January. Qualified recipients have the choice of receiving a trophy, a certificate, or no award.
Small Mongo Trophy qualifications are:
- Run/walk 250 miles.
- Participate in at least 10 DSE races (either by running/walking or volunteering — Thursday Evening Summer races and any DSE Fun Runs do not count).
- Earn a minimum of three (3) volunteer points.
Large Mongo Trophy qualifications are:
- Run/walk 750 miles.
- Participate in at least 20 DSE races (participation either by running/walking or volunteering — Thursday Evening Summer races and any DSE Fun Runs do not count).
- Earn a minimum of six (6) volunteer points.
Volunteer hours referenced above must be earned at an official DSE race or event. DSE officers, operations committee members, or coordinators automatically fulfill their volunteer requirement. Volunteering at the aid stations at the Kaiser Half Marathon or SF Marathon does not count towards this requirement.
Annual Kid Trophies
Kid trophies are presented to kids who complete five (5) or more of the 12 monthly kid runs. This award is specifically for participation in kid runs; participation in adult races does not count towards this award. Kids who run adult races can earn age division points and qualify for an age division award if they meet all the criteria (including volunteer points).
Annual Top 5 Awards
Presented to the top five male and female active DSE members in the following categories.
- DSE Race Attendance (either as a runner/self-timer or as a volunteer).
- Total Racing Miles (includes DSE and non-DSE races).
- Total Miles Run/Walked (includes race miles).
- Volunteer Points
- Race Place Points
- Lifetime Service Award – Presented to one individual annually who has served the club in past years.
- Walt Stack Award – Presented to one member each year who has gone above and beyond the call of duty for the club. The recipient of this award is determined by the current officers but suggestions are welcome.
To see past winners of the Walt Stack, Lifetime Service and RRCA Volunteer Awards CLICK HERE.