DSE offers many opportunities for participants to receive awards.
- Weekly Races
- Annual Age Division Awards
- Annual “Mongo” Awards
- Annual Kid Trophies
- Annual Top 5 Awards
- Other Awards
- Participation – Each participant receives a race ribbon (including self-timers).
- Top 5 – The Top 5 Overall Male, Female, and Non-Binary finishers in each race win a race place ribbon.
- Age Division Points – DSE Members can earn Age Division Points at weekly races. The Top 5 Age Division winners in each gender category for the year are acknowledged at our annual Awards Social.
- Course Record. Anyone that breaks a course record receives a special ribbon.
If you are in the running for any of the awards listed below, you MUST submit the Awards Reporting Form which will become available online around September for viewing and is due in by the first week of January. Qualified recipients have the choice of receiving a trophy, a certificate, or no award (recognition only) at the Awards Social scheduled for February or March 2023. We will not be able to order trophies or print certificates for anyone that does not submit the form by the deadline.
Annual Age Division Awards
Age division points are calculated roughly on a weekly basis – you can check your points on the website under the “Awards” tab, “Age division points”. In order to receive an age division award at the annual Awards Social, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a current DSE Member
- Earn at least three (3) volunteer points for the year (see volunteer tab)
- Rank in the top 5 age division point earners (by gender) in one of the following age groups: 18 & under, 19-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69,70-74, 75-79, 80+
Annual “Mongo” Awards
We’re not quite sure where this particular term originated from but it seems to have stuck. These awards – large and small – can be earned by DSE members by meeting all 3 of the criteria outlined below for each award.
Small Mongo Award qualifications are:
- Run/walk 250 miles.
- Participate in at least 10 DSE races (either by running/walking or volunteering — Thursday Evening Summer races and any DSE Fun Runs do not count).
- Earn a minimum of three (3) volunteer points.
Large Mongo Award qualifications are:
- Run/walk 750 miles.
- Participate in at least 20 DSE races (participation either by running/walking or volunteering— Thursday Evening Summer races and any DSE Fun Runs do not count).
- Earn a minimum of six (6) volunteer points.
Volunteer hours referenced above must be earned at an official DSE race or event. DSE officers, operations committee members, or coordinators automatically fulfill their volunteer requirement. Volunteering at the aid stations at the Kaiser Half Marathon or SF Marathon does not count towards this requirement.
Annual Kid Trophies
Kid trophies are presented to kids who complete five (5) or more of the 12 monthly kid runs. This award is specifically for participation in kid runs; participation in adult races does not count towards this award. Kids who run adult races can earn age division points and qualify for an age division award if they meet all the criteria.
Annual Top 5 Awards
Presented to the top five male, female, and non-binary active DSE members in the following categories:
- Total Racing Miles (includes DSE and non-DSE races, self-reported)
- Total Miles Run/Walked (includes race miles, self-reported)
- Fast Runner Awards – The Top 5 male, female, and non-binary DSE member finishers in each Sunday race will accrue points throughout the year based on their finishing place in their gender category (1st to 5th place, DSE members only). You can check your points on the website under the “Awards” tab, “Fast Runner Points”
Volunteer Awards – Volunteer points are tracked throughout the year and can be found on the website under the “Volunteer” tab, “Volunteer Points and Rewards”. Awards will be given to the top 3 members who have accrued the most volunteer points annually. In addition, members who have earned at least 3 volunteer points will be given raffle tickets at the DSE Member Picnic as follows:
3 points: 1 raffle ticket
10 points: 2 raffle tickets
10-19 points: 3 raffle tickets
20-29 points: 4 raffle tickets
30-39 points: 5 raffle tickets
40-49 points: 6 raffle tickets
50 points or more: 7 raffle tickets
Other Awards – The recipients of these awards are determined by the current officers but suggestions are welcome
- Lifetime Service Award – Presented to one individual annually who has unselfishly devoted many years of volunteerism to the DSE.
- Walt Stack Award– Presented to one member each year who has gone above and beyond the call of duty for the club.
To see past winners of the Walt Stack, Lifetime Service and RRCA Volunteer Awards CLICK HERE.