DSE offers many opportunities for its members to receive awards.
- Each participant, including self-timers, receives a race ribbon.
- Additional ribbons are awarded to the Top 5 Overall Male and Female finishers in each race.
- Special ribbons are awarded to anyone that breaks a course record.
- Due to the small number of race participants, and our hand-scoring system, we do not currently present age-division awards at the majority of our races. However, members can qualify for Age Division Awards presented at the annual Gala Dinner.
Age Division Awards
In order to receive an age division award at the annual Gala Dinner, you must meet the following criteria:
- Have an active DSE membership (dues paid).
- Earn at least three (3) volunteer points for the year.
- Earn enough age division points to rank in the top 5 active members who meet the above criteria in the following age groups: 18 & under, 19-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69,70-74, 75-79, 80+
We’re not quite sure where this particular term originated from but it seems to have stuck. These trophies – large and small – can be earned by DSE members by meeting all 3 of the criteria outlined below for each award. Points reporting forms become available in December (both in the newsletter and on the website) and are due in by the first week of January. Qualified recipients have the choice of receiving a trophy, a certificate, or no award.
Small Mongo Trophy qualifications are:
- Run/walk 250 miles.
- Participate in at least 10 DSE races (either by running/walking or volunteering — Thursday Evening Summer races and any DSE Fun Runs do not count).
- Earn a minimum of three (3) volunteer points.
Large Mongo Trophy qualifications are:
- Run/walk 750 miles.
- Participate in at least 20 DSE races (participation either by running/walking or volunteering – Thursday Evening Summer races and any DSE Fun Runs do not count).
- Earn a minimum of six (6) volunteer points.
Volunteer hours referenced above must be earned at an official DSE race or event. DSE officers, operations committee members, or coordinators automatically fulfill their volunteer requirement. Volunteering at the aid stations at the Kaiser Half Marathon or SF Marathon does not count towards this requirement.
Kid trophies are presented to kids who complete five (5) or more of the 12 monthly kid runs. This award is specifically for participation in kid runs; participation in adult races does not count towards this award. Kids who run adult races can earn age division points and qualify for an age division award if they meet all the criteria (including volunteer points).
Top 5 Awards
Presented to the top five male and female active DSE members (dues paid and 3 volunteer points) in the following categories.
- DSE Race Attendance (either as a runner/self-timer or as a volunteer).
- Total Racing Miles (includes DSE and non-DSE races).
- Total Miles Run/Walked (includes race miles).
- Volunteer Points
- Lifetime Service Award - Presented to one individual annually who has served the club in past years.
- Walt Stack Award - Presented to one member each year who has gone above and beyond the call of duty for the club. The recipient of this award is determined by the current officers but suggestions are welcome.
Starting with the 2017 Gala, members who which to receive a trophy for any award must submit the awards reporting form. If you qualify for an award, but do not submit the form, we will not order you a trophy. However, you will still be listed in the awards recipient list and have the option of requesting a trophy for the second order placed after the Gala.